[Marketing] press release opportunity...

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jul 30 13:39:21 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 4:36 AM, Sean DALY<sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK but I will need to think a little bit about this (and for the
> moment no internet access in the house, truck unloaded yesterday & we
> are in boxes, internet will take a couple of weeks at least)
>
> I have promised Tomeu to assist in recruitment but this is a tricky
> one... the "magic" if I may say so is to find an "angle" that is
> newsworthy... that will bubble to the top choices a journalist or
> blogger will choose to write about. Unfortunately, "we need help" or
> "we are succeeding an ambitious technical challenge", etc. are not
> newsworthy in and of themselves. So we need to find a link, a "hook"
> to generate newsworthiness. My instinct is to springboard from Sugar
> on a Stick which has already captured the imagination of many writers
> and bloggers.
>
> Marketing, advertising, even recruitment springs first from emotional
> response, then reasoned analysis. If you listen to Red Hat's CEO in
> the BBC link I sent two days ago you will hear him try to motivate
> potential recruits in terms of social responsibility and making the
> world a better place. I think all of us are deeply motivated by the
> desire to educate children.

I have come to the same conclusion.

I have been uneasy about our shopping list of needs approach to
engaging new contributors.  Every open source article about attracting
and engaging contributors talk about providing a easily accessible
list of activities for contributors to get started.  Yet, when ever I
read those lists (and our lists) I end up saying 'Why should I help
with this.'

Further research on non-profit and my own personal experience has lead
me to the conclusion that people help social benefit organizations,
such as Sugar Labs, because we 'meet needs' not because we 'have
needs.'  As an example, I don't donate to Wisconsin Public Radio
because they run those annoying 'please help us' campaigns every
couple of months.  Instead, I believe that Wisconsin Public Radio is
providing a valuable service, thereby meeting a valuable community
need.

I think this was why the SoaS release made such a splash in the tech
community.  It was widely perceived as 'meeting the need' that Sugar
be available without purchasing an XO during their limited periods of
G1G1 availability.  The 'value' of freeing Sugar appeals to certain
people.

OLPC in general is such a compelling project because it aims to 'meet
the needs' of students in developing nation by leverage technology.
The 'value' of education and the 'usefulness' of technology resonate
_very_ strongly with many people.

Overall, the message can take the form of:
1.  Here is the need we aim to meet -
2. Here is our track record on making progress towards meeting that need -
3. Here is how you can help us meet that need -

david