[Marketing] Fwd: [Grassroots-l] Nokia ad will feature me and my students in a project we call DONATING ONE LAPTOP PER CLASS

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 05:41:38 EDT 2009

crossposting to SL marketing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kyraocity <kyraocity at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 5:42 PM
Subject: [Grassroots-l] Nokia ad will feature me and my students in a
project we call DONATING ONE LAPTOP PER CLASS
To: grassroots at lists.laptop.org

Last Fall 2008, two of my cultural anthropology courses and I devised
a campaign to encourage entire classes at Baruch College, where I
teach, to donate ONE LAPTOP PER CLASS. The project is designed like
this: For less than $10 per class member or instructor, each class
collaborates to donate $199 laptop. We haven't figured out all the
incentives for participating yet, but with only 2 sections in the beta
project last fall we raised over $650 and donated 3 laptops. We
created a viral video to promote it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSWu6CLVL6Y. This was all done the last
2 weeks of classes before finals. Participants were amazed.

A few weeks ago, Nokia decided to do a social responsibility ad about
me and my students and the OLPC donation project we created. Just saw
the final cut of the 2 min documentary yesterday it is amazing. It is
supposed to go national in 1-2 weeks. It features a conversation with
students about the OLPC project, why laptops vs. food, and what
participating in the project means as students at Baruch College which
is one of the most diverse institutions in the U.S. with students from
over 120 different countries who speak over 100 different languages.

Would love any suggestions on

How to make this competetive among our 700 classes. Do we compete for
highest percentage of class participation, the largest donation of any
class, and/or by division (we have three schools within the
college--business, arts&sciences, and public affairs)?
The viral video is designed to encourage other colleges and
universities to compete. Any one here want to play with us and compete
with Baruch College? This would be an inter-varsity sport.
I heard that OLPC is launching a college program this fall. Anyone
know where I can find out more about this.S omething like a college
corps for OLPC.

Will keep you posted on the Nokia launch.
Best,
Kyra Gaunt
Assoc. Professor, Cultural Anthropology & Black Studies
Baruch College-CUNY
New York, NY

--
-
Kyra D. Gaunt, Ph.D.

Dare to be different - Agree to be Offended & Stay Connected (TM).
Embracing difference and racism is an opportunity to be courageous no
matter what.

progress depends on the unreasonable man."   -- George Bernard Shaw