[Marketing] SL at NECC 2010

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Jul 27 13:47:57 EDT 2009

On 27 Jul 2009, at 17:15, Mel Chua wrote:

> * I don't know what big developments are likely to hit in the near
> future, but if the "use Activities online, in browsers!" thing works,
> then we have a *huge* winner to demo.

Just wanted to ping on this item. I don't see "Activities online, in
browsers!" as something achievable in other than some special Activity
cases (EToys Activity could do it if we filtch their Java compiler,
TurtleArt could do it if we build a JavaScript player for it, Colors
playback could be done similarly; others could support viewing, Write,
Paint, Labyrinth, Calculate, Chat, etc).

I think what would be more viable, sort to mid term, would be a
regular website design that used a Sugar like Journal metaphor to
display/search entries uploaded by users (Aleksey has a number of
features that may overlap quite nicely, here's one http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Server_Objects_Sharing)
. The Journal uploads/publish would all have previews so at the very
least folks would get to see a reasonable detail view (along with all
the meta-data) while browsing. Some standard formats could allow
direct viewing of material online (images, pdfs, text documents,
movies, audio), along with any special players that may be possible
(Etoys Java playback, or a TurtleArt javascript player).

Regards,
--Gary