[Marketing] reaching out to hackers

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:17:53 EDT 2009

Tomeu, from my point of view, Sugar is better known to the open source
community than any other. Which doesn't preclude going beyond the tech
press and conference presence through blog posts and IRC mentions,
since as often as not when Sugar is known it's attached to negative
opinions of OLPC. Just look at yesterday's Slashdot post where
everyone but Charbax talks about the "failure" of OLPC - a ridiculous
point of view for a million-laptop project, but a meme which keeps
cropping up since OLPC is not fighting that. I spoke with visitors at
LinuxTag who were surprised OLPC still exists. However, (not being
able to conduct a study) I believe OLPC has good recognition with
educators and much less negativity than amongst geeks.

To combat OLPC's poor appreciation among geeks, perhaps I should
contact marketing teams from distros? I'll be guesting a marketing
class for the Fedora marketing team after my move & holidays. Keep in
mind though that what most FOSS projects call marketing is more
community relations, interaction with other FOSS projects rather than
recruiting users.

For me, it's a higher priority to reach out to teachers, where we have
close to zero recognition, rather than geeks, where we have good
recognition tempered with OLPC misperceptions. To reach millions of
K-6 teachers, we need good press from influential journalists and
bloggers.

The developer recruitment issue is different, since we have a very
clear idea of who we want to reach and just need to develop a plan to
reach them. We can certainly put together an online recruitment drive,
which should start with an improved Getting Involved page and a blog
post.

The XO-1.5 refresh is a perfect opportunity for us to do joint
marketing with OLPC. If they plan and execute well, they could turn
around the negative press completely, which would go a long way in
dispelling Slashdot drubbings and "Sugar is dead" attitudes.
Hopefully, we can help them with that.

Does that answer your question?

Sean