[Marketing] NPD Group Market Tracking Service (USA): Netbook Sales are Strongest among the Traditional Tech-Centric Coastal Markets

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 12:28:54 EDT 2009

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/071309_mini_note_netbook_shipments_to_double_y_y_to_more_than_30m_units_in_2009.asp

DisplaySearch (part of NPD) has published a report showing astonishing
growth of netbook sales.

Bizarrely, they group Europe, the Middle East, and Africa together;
although European tech executives often cover those areas, the markets
are very different.

The writeup is contradictory; they assert that netbook sales are both
cannibalizing, and not, laptop sales. I remain convinced that
Microsoft's strategy of pushing OEMs to beef up the netbook offers
(starting with screen size) will only hurt laptop sales. The true
picture can only be understood if laptop sales are compared to
desktops; I suspect every netbook sale converts a laptop into a home
machine.

As usual, the analysts have ignored the education market, which is
suprising given Dell's claims of hundreds of school district orders
for their education netbook....

Sean