[Marketing] Marketing Digest, Vol 9, Issue 9

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jul 7 10:26:24 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 16:21, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 7 Jul 2009, at 09:02, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 02:10, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Edward,
>>>
>>> I guess we have a Bible reading Activity (Sword?) and a Qur'an reading
>>> Activity somewhere, and while it would make sense to get these on ASLO
>>> I don't see that they belong as one of the pre-installed Activities on
>>> SoaS.  As for a selection of literature, I see two problems:
>>>
>>> 1).  How to make the selection?
>>> 2).  How to communicate that this selection is just a drop in the
>>> ocean of what is available for free?
>>>
>>> Now if you install _Get Internet Archive Books_ you can type in the
>>> word "Bible", "Qur'an", and even "Koran" and get a list of hundreds of
>>> books including and about the Bible and the Qur'an, in several
>>> languages, including Arabic.  For the Bible you can get several
>>> versions of the book itself in several languages, plus tracts
>>> condemning slavery that quote from the Bible, tracts condemning
>>> Abolitionists quoting from the Bible, etc.  Add _Read Etexts_ to Sugar
>>> and download another 28,000 or so books, including the Bible and the
>>> Qur'an, an English translation of the Mahabharata, etc.
>>>
>>> At one time I did favor getting some books added to the Journal, maybe
>>> something non-controversial like an Oz book, etc.  Now I think we have
>>> to make teachers and learners understand just how easy it is to get
>>> their own books in the Journal.
>>>
>>> I'm blowing my own horn here, but I do think what I have created gives
>>> us something good to sell.
>>
>> Enthusiastic +1
>
> +1 from me too :-)
>
>> But what about users without easy internet access?
>
> Are we not drifting into deployment questions here?
>
> If I was running a deployment, I would want to be customising an image for
> the requirements of that deployment. In a low or no Internet environment
> that would likely include a large collection of deployment specific books
> and material pre-installed to the Journal. After that, it only takes one
> individual with a stick to occasionally go somewhere with Internet access,
> download new material, and share it back at the deployment.

Sure, but as this is the marketing list, I was thinking of a random
guy downloading soas and because of not having access to internet when
trying it out, failing to realize some of the appeal of SoaS.

But yeah, I think we shouldn't try to make a single image to work best
in all environments, but instead make easier for people to create
custom images.

Regards,

Tomeu