[Marketing] Marketing Digest, Vol 9, Issue 9

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Tue Jul 7 10:21:23 EDT 2009

On 7 Jul 2009, at 09:02, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 02:10, Jim Simmons<nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Edward,
>>
>> I guess we have a Bible reading Activity (Sword?) and a Qur'an
>> reading
>> Activity somewhere, and while it would make sense to get these on
>> ASLO
>> I don't see that they belong as one of the pre-installed Activities
>> on
>> SoaS.  As for a selection of literature, I see two problems:
>>
>> 1).  How to make the selection?
>> 2).  How to communicate that this selection is just a drop in the
>> ocean of what is available for free?
>>
>> Now if you install _Get Internet Archive Books_ you can type in the
>> word "Bible", "Qur'an", and even "Koran" and get a list of hundreds
>> of
>> books including and about the Bible and the Qur'an, in several
>> languages, including Arabic.  For the Bible you can get several
>> versions of the book itself in several languages, plus tracts
>> condemning slavery that quote from the Bible, tracts condemning
>> Abolitionists quoting from the Bible, etc.  Add _Read Etexts_ to
>> Sugar
>> and download another 28,000 or so books, including the Bible and the
>> Qur'an, an English translation of the Mahabharata, etc.
>>
>> At one time I did favor getting some books added to the Journal,
>> maybe
>> something non-controversial like an Oz book, etc.  Now I think we
>> have
>> to make teachers and learners understand just how easy it is to get
>> their own books in the Journal.
>>
>> I'm blowing my own horn here, but I do think what I have created
>> gives
>> us something good to sell.
>
> Enthusiastic +1

+1 from me too :-)

> But what about users without easy internet access?

Are we not drifting into deployment questions here?

If I was running a deployment, I would want to be customising an image
for the requirements of that deployment. In a low or no Internet
environment that would likely include a large collection of deployment
specific books and material pre-installed to the Journal. After that,
it only takes one individual with a stick to occasionally go somewhere
with Internet access, download new material, and share it back at the
deployment.

Regards,
--Gary