[Marketing] Marketing Digest, Vol 9, Issue 9

Jim Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 20:10:59 EDT 2009

Edward,

I guess we have a Bible reading Activity (Sword?) and a Qur'an reading
Activity somewhere, and while it would make sense to get these on ASLO
I don't see that they belong as one of the pre-installed Activities on
SoaS.  As for a selection of literature, I see two problems:

1).  How to make the selection?
2).  How to communicate that this selection is just a drop in the
ocean of what is available for free?

Now if you install _Get Internet Archive Books_ you can type in the
word "Bible", "Qur'an", and even "Koran" and get a list of hundreds of
books including and about the Bible and the Qur'an, in several
languages, including Arabic.  For the Bible you can get several
versions of the book itself in several languages, plus tracts
condemning slavery that quote from the Bible, tracts condemning
Abolitionists quoting from the Bible, etc.  Add _Read Etexts_ to Sugar
and download another 28,000 or so books, including the Bible and the
Qur'an, an English translation of the Mahabharata, etc.

At one time I did favor getting some books added to the Journal, maybe
something non-controversial like an Oz book, etc.  Now I think we have
to make teachers and learners understand just how easy it is to get
their own books in the Journal.

I'm blowing my own horn here, but I do think what I have created gives
us something good to sell.

James Simmons