Marketing leadership

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 10:34:59 EST 2009

Hi folks.

My job description here at Red Hat is changing a bit, and I'm going to
have significantly less time to devote to Sugar.  As such, I need to focus
on areas where I can have the most impact.  I believe that marketing Sugar
is a pretty key activity, but it's no longer one that I have time to
lead.

Therefore: it's time to find a new lead for the marketing team.

What does that mean, exactly?

Well, it means a bunch of things.  It means figuring out how to create
things like t-shirts and lollipops and stickers out of thin air.  It means
figuring out how to get Sugar exposure at events.  It means arranging to
getting Sugar advocates in front of people.  It means running meetings to
keep everyone on the same page (what's most important this week, and who's
doing it?)

It's a lot of work.  Leadership always is.  I still believe, strongly,
that someone needs to step up to this work -- but right now, this person
cannot be me.

With my limited time, I will continue to focus on the engineering side,
with a specific focus on bringing as many volunteer engineering resources
to bear.  If someone chooses to renew the weekly meetings, I will happily
attend and share my experiences in "marketing open source".

The floor is open.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]