idea for Sugar slogan and name

Nick Boldt nboldt at redhat.com
Tue Jan 13 16:28:58 EST 2009

How about something with a little more viral marketing punch? Here are a
few ideas...

Sugar: Slim, Fast, and Free

Sugar: All the power, none of the fat

Sugar: It's what kids want

Sugar: The best way to get your kids to FLOSS

Sugar: Stop. Collaborate and listen
   (with apologies to Vanilla Ice)

Sugar: The Choice of A New Generation
   (with apologies to Pepsi)

Sugar: Tastes Great, Less Billing
   (with apologies to Coors & Bill G.)

Sugar: Get your fix every day, not just on Hallowe'en

Sugar: Accept no substitute

and finally...

"For one sweet netbook, put a little Sugar on it."

Humour aside, I think we need to decide the audience. Who's the target
for this marketing? Parents of gradeschool kids? People with disposable
income to burn on a netbook for themselves / their nephews & nieces?
People who want to donate through the G1G1 program, but don't know
enough about why they should sponsor Sugar?

If you're selling to parents, it's a whole different push than if you're
selling to, for example, 30-somethings without kids and with money to burn.

$0.02,

Nick

Bryan Berry wrote:
> I think the word "Intellectual" and phrase "learn how to learn" describe
> our project well but not "catchy" as a meme. "learn how to learn" is
> simply a better way to learn.
>
> Defining our mission should be very separate from our slogan. A slogan
> is a very easy way to explain the purpose of Sugar to the average person
> who isn't familiar w/ pedagogy, OLPC, or computers in education.
>
> On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 14:17 -0500, John Tierney wrote:
>> What are your thoughts on this take:
>>
>> Sugar: The intellectual playground where kids learn how to learn
>>
>>> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 13:59:50 -0500
>>> From: bernie at codewiz.org
>>> To: bryan at olenepal.org
>>> Subject: Re: idea for Sugar slogan and name
>>> CC: Marketing at lists.sugarlabs.org

>>> - I like the "where kids learn and play" slogan very much
>>>
>>> - I think Sugar should remain the name identifying the software.
>>>
>>> - I mildly prefer Sugar Land over Sugar Labs as a name for the
>>> foundation, but I it's a little too late to change it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
>>> \X/ Sugar Labs - http://www.sugarlabs.org/

Nick Boldt :: JBoss, a division of Red Hat
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash CBI
http://wiki.eclipse.org/User:Nickb