[IAEP] First competitor?

Caroline Meeks solutiongrove at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:58:31 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Christian Marc Schmidt <
christianmarc at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think we'd need to know the specific points of contention. I can't
> imagine which design decisions might work less well on PCs. Sugar remains
> significantly easier to use than standard PC operating systems...

Put Sugar in front of the average adult sitting alone, without any
instruction, for 20 minutes.  I doubt many of them would agree with you.

Thats not how Sugar was designed to be used, but it is the conditions under
which it is usually evaluated.  I think this is one of our marketing
challenges.

> Christian
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> "Sugar is a very good interface for the OLPC computers it was made
>> for, but many of the design decisions and interfaces don't work nearly
>> as well on standard PCs."
>>
>> I'm curious what people think about this statement.  I tend to agree
>> that some design decisions were biased toward the XO-1 hardware, but I
>> don't think that any of the decisions actually fail on a "standard
>> PC", and I actually think Sugar scales pretty well in terms of
>> interaction. However, if we can assume their perspective and locate
>> some areas which aren't ideal on all hardware, perhaps we can work on
>> resolving them.  Anyone have some examples?
>>
>> - Eben
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It claims to be a standalone home computer environment for kids, not a
>> > classroom environment.

> anything at christianmarcschmidt.com
>
> http://www.christianmarcschmidt.com
>
> 917/ 575 0013