[IAEP] First competitor?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 08:44:22 EST 2009

At this point, I think I have used Sugar more on non-XO computers than
XO computers. The only real issue for me are the keyboard mappings:
the lack of a dedicated Frame key in particular. (0.83 makes a big --
positive -- difference in that I am no longer needing to cycle through
the Journal to restart activities.)

It would be good to do some brainstorming about keyboard mappings and
support for touchscreens in the 0.86 planning.

-walter

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 8:27 AM, Eben Eliason <eben.eliason at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Sugar is a very good interface for the OLPC computers it was made
> for, but many of the design decisions and interfaces don't work nearly
> as well on standard PCs."
>
> I'm curious what people think about this statement.  I tend to agree
> that some design decisions were biased toward the XO-1 hardware, but I
> don't think that any of the decisions actually fail on a "standard
> PC", and I actually think Sugar scales pretty well in terms of
> interaction. However, if we can assume their perspective and locate
> some areas which aren't ideal on all hardware, perhaps we can work on
> resolving them.  Anyone have some examples?
>
> - Eben
>

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 3:45 AM, Sean DALY <sdaly.be at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It claims to be a standalone home computer environment for kids, not a
>> classroom environment.

>>> Might also be a bad choice of web hosting provider.  The entire ISO
>>> image contains free software.
>>>
>>> --
>>>   // Bernie Innocenti - http://www.codewiz.org/
>>>  \X/  Sugar Labs       - http://www.sugarlabs.org/