[Marketing] [IAEP] [DESIGN] Ideas and questions on SL.o

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Tue Dec 29 09:30:23 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 19:52, Jim Simmons <nicestep at gmail.com> wrote:

>  It would probably make a
> better first impression than the Wiki as it now stands.  Further, we
> might take some of the better content on the Wiki (Sugar Almanac, for
> instance) and think about converting it into Floss Manuals.

I agree. While I'd be reluctant to make it the front page, it would seem a
sensible choice for the "getting help with sugar" link on the mainpage.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 05:23, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> Programmers and other geek types will mostly fend for themselves ;-)
> Put a link somewhere for developers and we'll find it.

Heh. I think we want to first "convert" our users to the idea that Sugar is
something worth using/deploying, and then to "lure them in" to community
participation. We have to keeep in mind we're serving a variety of
audiences; most [citation needed] people in school administration don't have
the time / bandwidth to join a mailing list to find out more. Rather the
"implementation people" in IT and teachers in the classroom  are those who
would provide the most value to the community, and they will probably
(subject to verification, see below) still be able to find their way.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:22, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

> What about making a list of the audience profiles and evaluate how
> well each of them can find what they want? Teachers, school
> administrators, hackers, parents, journalists, etc?

Seems sensible. We can even conduct some budget usability
testing<http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20030602.html>once we get to the
later stages. There are plenty of people who fit in those
groups around my school :)

--
Luke Faraone
http://luke.faraone.cc