[Marketing] Urgent for SoaS launch! static 120x90 banner needed asap for Ad Bard insertion, proposal for brief, who can help?

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 07:29:23 EST 2009

Ad Bard (http://adbard.net/) is a new project, a FLOSS-focused online
advertising network partnered with the FSF
(http://www.fsf.org/news/ad-bard) in an advisory role.

They only accept FLOSS projects and have a simplified flat fee
structure for advertisers. Member sites earn through clicks. They
claim nearly 5 million monthly impressions
(http://adbard.net/adbard/websites) on sites of interest to free
software developers. It will likely be a very efficient way to raise
our profile with developers.

I had heard yesterday that they were offering a limited number of free
December insertions in their network. This morning they have very
graciously offered to run a Sugar Labs banner free of cost from
December 8th (Sugar on a Stick launch date) through the end of the
month!

To meet the deadline though, we have to provide the banner as soon as
possible in the next 48 hours. They have a review system with a
72-hour all-members vote (weighted by impressions) before running any
ad on their network. A sample ad can be viewed on their FAQ page
(http://adbard.net/faq).

Technical info is: 120x90 pixels, graphics, up to 80 characters of
text, no animation, PNG or JPEG or static GIF (no Flash), link to
direct to.

Proposed brief:

horizontal USB key beauty shot over Sugar on a Stick logo in Blueberry
color, text underneath: "Sugar on a Stick v2 Blueberry downloadable
now. Try it with a child today!"

That's 75 chars using this CLI one-liner:
$ echo 'Sugar on a Stick v2 Blueberry downloadable now. Try it with a
child today!' | wc -m

I have prepared a 120x36 px PNG from Philippe Cantinau's beauty shots
session (attached). This is from an actual photo of one of the sticks
from the first run (same stick as in the 4-stick beauty shot). Color
combo is variant 8 but note that the printers hadn't done a great
color/alignment job given the rush at the time, so it may be
preferable to place a clean logo over the stick body. I feel a
different color than the blue combo will work best, because our visual
identity is to vary the combos, Blueberry is not the main branding
message ("sugar" is), and a blueberry colored stick might get people
to think we distribute sticks which is not the case. But, a blueberry
logo'd stick might indeed be preferable?

Because of the Academy 4:3 layout, we may need to break up the Sugar
on a Stick logo like the stacked SL logo version, with "sugar" larger
on its own line and "on a stick" smaller underneath. Alternatively,
"on a" on a line and "stick" on a line, in that case we could probably
keep the same point size as "sugar".

For the link, we have a choice between the homepage (where we will
have a What's New callout by Tuesday with Christian's help), or the
Sugar on a Stick page (http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick).
I'm on the fence, but leaning towards the homepage link - many
first-time visitors should probably learn more about Sugar and Sugar
Labs first? What do you think?

Who can step up to get this together quickly?

thanks