[Marketing] [Sugar-devel] First step towards an efficient feedback process

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 15:01:30 EDT 2009

Quite frankly speaking I don't understand why the deployment related
conversations and feedback should be kept on IAEP when most of it
(especially at early stages of deployments and school projects, which is
were most small and large efforts are at the moment) will be of a relatively
technical
nature. As an example let me mention the Austrian pilot where during
my visits I'm normally
dealing with issues such as laptops not shutting down, activities being
deleted and collaboration not working as expected. The teachers there have a
fairly good idea of what they would want to use the laptops for if they or
the children didn't hit technical roadblocks that slow the classroom usage
down ever so often. It's only once we moved a bit behind those early
technical hickups that the discussions about the "good stuff" (education and
whatnot) will start to take place.
Having said that I personally believe that the core consideration in such a
feedback process should be to have someone dedicate him- or herself to it.
As Greg Smith showed so well at OLPC a single person at an organization can
make all the difference when it comes to communication between deployment
and developer communities.

At the same time deployments, regardless how large or small, should be
encouraged to offer at least a single (and reliable!) point of contact for
feedback collection. I really liked the list at
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Deployment_Team/Places that Tomeu started back
in February, however I just realized that (unless I missed something) the
people listed on that page have never been contacted in a structured manner
to give feedback.

So, to end this with an actionable item I would suggest that we start
flashing out a process and preferably an actual questionnaire of some kind
to be sent to people in deployments listed on the page mentioned above or
who we know personally (and subsequently encourage to sign up to the page
above;-) by the time brainstorming for 0.88 starts. With the 6-month release
cycle we have the opportunity to organize structured and timely feedback
flows twice a year.

At the same time we should make it as easy as possible for people to leave
their feedback, and when I say "as easy as possible" I'm not thinking of a
mailing-list, Trac or some wiki-template. Instead of scaring people away
with lots of tech-talk (like we do on
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Submit_Bugs/Problems at the moment) simply put
feedback at sugarlabs.org in <h1> on key locations of the wiki and Web site.

Anyway, it's getting late, time to grab some sleep...

Christoph

Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews
url: www.olpcnews.com