[Marketing] [IAEP] Fwd: [Sur] sugarlabs.org: sugerencia

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Apr 30 17:25:22 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 08:14:06PM +0200, Sean DALY wrote:
> Again, we need at least basically consistent navigation.

I'm surprised such a high (worth a month's delay before a volunteer
can work on designing a solution) bar was set for such a simple
(remove target="_blank"), obviously useful (works in Sugar's own
browser, requested by a developer and an educator and probably other)
and improvable (can be removed later) feature.

> We could advance more rapidly if no one is suprised when Christian
> adapts my April 3rd suggestion:
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/marketing/2009-April/000742.html

I don't know that I understand your suggestion(s), unfortunately (but
I don't have to, I guess).  I think you're suggesting consistent
navigation among all four sites, by redesigning...just the navigation
section on all four (activities, wiki, www, download .sugarlabs.org)?
Just the sugarlabs.org site?

The main thing that struck me about the email you referenced was the
amount of discussion about the sitemap.  As I'm probably not the
target audience you may ignore this data point, but for what its worth
the main thought I had after reading your email was: I've never used a
sitemap.  If I can't find it, I use google.

It seems relevant that to get Fedora or Ubuntu or Firefox, the first
hit on Google for each has a prominent link to download, and:

   - Ubuntu's download link is prominent and central, and resulting
     page a) opens within the same window; and b) with similar look
     and feel.  The top-right navigation section reminded me a lot of
     what I thought you might have meant in your message (see below).
     Quite central is some text *explaining* Ubuntu.

   - Fedora's download link is prominent but but not central; I
     thought this was bad until I realized the central link
     *explained* Fedora, which is an interesting tradeoff that might
     be adoptable for www.sugarlabs.org.

   - Firefox's download link is prominent and central.  Barely (but
     still) "above the fold", with a huge-lettered title, is a section
     *explaining* Firefox.

> thanks
>
> Sean

Martin

PS - thanks for all the work; I don't mean to sound ungrateful
(hopefully at worst this sounds brusqe)...just trying to communicate
as explicitly as possible to waste as little (more) of your time...