[Marketing] Goal: Getting Involved

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Tue Apr 28 23:20:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:50 PM, Caroline Meeks
<caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Caroline Meeks
>> <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
>> > Looking at the analytics I notice that our biggest referrals are from:
>> > heise.de  then lifehacker.  ArsTechnica is actually about 1/4 as much as
>> > those.
>> >
>> > Anyone know the heise.de folks? What is the audience?
>> >
>> > We seem to be doing fairly well at getting people to at least think
>> > about
>> > trying Sugar on a Stick.
>> >
>> > From Sugar on a Stick page
>> >
>> > 11% go to Windows, 4% Mac, 3% Linux and 2% Virtual Box
>> >
>> > If our goal is to get people involved they certainly aren't getting to
>> > the
>> > Getting Involved page:
>> >
>> > 18,000 people looked at the Sugar on a Stick page.
>> > 174 looked at getting involved.
>>
>> 1% actually pretty decent for open source projects.

A _very_ well run community can reasonably strive for about 1% of
their users to give back to the community in some way.  1% of those
can be encourage to become active participants.

These number are very anecdotal and depend heavily on the nature of
the project.  On the plus side, Sugar Lab's mission, vision, and
values and pretty compelling.  On the negative side, most of our users
are seven years old:)

I think we can look at four potential pools of people to become
involved in Sugar Labs:
1.  Altruistic high school and college students who want to make the
world a better place while they do something fun and learn something
new.
2.  Concerned geeks who want to improve _their_ children's educations.
3.  Sysadmins and teachers from local deployments who 'get' the
community process.
4.  Partners who make a living based on Sugar.

david