[Marketing] Publicity and Healthy Kids Day at the YMCA on April 18th

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Fri Apr 10 22:07:18 EDT 2009

FOSS VT Exceeded Expectations!

People were able to get things running much more easily then I expected. Now
it was a self selected crowd, people who chose to spend $125 to spend the
day learning about open source, but still it was impressive how much success
we had.

When/how do we next tell the world about Sugar?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> [...]
> stay in beta then feel misled that Sugar was blessed 1.0 too early.
>
> > I think we should announce it just before or -- probably better --
> > just after.... when we will have some photos (I hope). I don't think
> > the Y should be the actual "event", but more like a "symbol" of the
> > readiness of SoaS beta-1. It's late for us to get into joint marketing
> > with the Y... I'm also not sure they would even wish to. I think the
> > best way to do it would be to announce beta-1, then mention that "with
> > the friendly participation of a local YMCA on Family Health Day, we
> > submitted the beta to the acid test: an assortment of old PCs and a
> > bunch of curious kids"
>
> How would you like to announce it?  Another press release?  I ask so
> many questions because marketing is a great big gapping hole in many
> open source projects:(  and many marketers are considered spin doctors
> working away in smoke filled rooms.
>
> In a project like Sugar Labs, everyone is a potential marketer as they
> spread the word about what Sugar Labs is doing and the progress Sugar
> Labs is making.
>
> david
>
> > We should indeed obtain image releases from anyone filmed or
> > photographed, I'm sorry I haven't updated the image release text
> > commented by the SFC I will get on that right away
> >
> > Video would be great because: YouTube-> viral effect, some blurbs by
> > you & Walter...
> >
> > The Y has to be aware too of course
> >
> > more later thanks
> >
> > Sean
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Caroline Meeks
> > <caroline at solutiongrove.com> wrote:
> >> Walter and I got 9 computers running either SoaS1 or 2!  Walter has a
> >> somewhat painful work around for the static IP issues. The next week
> will
> >> only make all this work better.
> >>
> >> So we are GO for Healthy Kids Day.
> >>
> >> About Healthy Kids Day at the Waltham Y
> >>
> >> All YMCAs will have a bunch of activities and such for kids. Its sort of
> an
> >> open house aimed at families.  The Waltham Y is a typical Y in a not so
> well
> >> off suburb of Boston.
> >>
> >> http://www.ymca.net/about_the_ymca/ymca_healthy_kids_day.html
> >> http://www.ymcaboston.org/waltham/
> >>
> >> They have a small computer room with 10 computers full of viruses and
> spy
> >> ware in the back of the building.  We will put up a sign inviting kids
> 3-14
> >> years old to come to the room to try out Sugar.  Walter and I will be
> there
> >> to facilitate. We expect kids and parents to come and go.
> >>
> >> How can we make the most of this as a press event?
> >>
> >> Do you want me to recruit a static and/or video photographer?
> >> Do we need photo releases from the kids?
> >> Do you want quotes from the YMCA staff?
> >> Do you want to do a joint press release?
> >> Do we want to contact local newspapers and television stations before

Caroline Meeks
Solution Grove