[Marketing] [IAEP] branding usbdrives ==> Re: Topics & deliverables from Marketing IRC meeting 03-10-2009: Countdown to 0.84 launch! Exceptional meeting today (Friday) at 1600 UTC

Marten Vijn info at martenvijn.nl
Fri Apr 3 10:24:54 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 15:01 +0200, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > This will require some degree of control to limit the mis-use of sugar
> > in substandard products.
>
> That's a reasonable move. The trick w brands is to show that you
> control the brands and logos...
>
> This means that you are expected to set some rules and complain to
> people (and eventuallysend C&D) who don't follow them.

And to avoid problems. Google for "Europeans Orders OpenBSD" to see how
painfull it can get. The sooner there are clear rules the better it is.

> So now, from the dept of out-of-the-box-ideas:
>
> One of the rules may be: use of logos A, C and B is restricted. Logo D
> is unrestricted, redistributable, etc for use in community efforts
> without having to ask for permission.

Would it help to have:
- possibility resell offical sugar sticks (in larger batches)
- local versions (with for example Dutch language and password) preset
- expectations of donations to:
 - SugarLabs
 - Local projects
- Clear expentations of:
 - certified partners
 - community partners

FYI.My last actions resulted in funding to give 30 sticks to kids in the
media wiki project.

> Would that help? Unrestricted logos saying "SugarLabs::Community" or
> "Friend of SugarLabs"?

I gues it would be some kind "grey branding".

2ct
Kind regards,
Marten

> cheers,