Elevator pitch resources

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Wed Dec 3 11:29:22 EST 2008

Lets all brainstorm answers.

> Things pitches should have / questions they should answer:
>
> * A hook. (Which I think is what we are trying to develop here.)

A learning platform for elementary aged kids.

> * Who introduced you? (If applicable.)
> * Who's the user?

Kids 3-12

> * What's the product?

> * What does it help the user do?

Learn by creating and collaborating.

> * Who's the team? Name-droppin' is ok.

The operating system that is used on the OLPC and is already used by 500,000
kids world wide!

> * How are you going to make money? (In our case, be financially
> sustainable?)

We will bring Sugar everywhere, desktops, netbooks, even a USB Stick that
you can use on any computer.

> * Who's the competition? Can you make a comparison metaphor with
> anything well-known? ("We're the Cadillac of macaroni." "Like Facebook
> for harmonica players.")

We let kids who don't have access to an XO laptop still use Sugar.

We are like Windows or Linux but made especially for kids and learning.

> * What's your differentiator/competitive advantage over said
> competition? (If you don't have competition, something's wrong. Why
> haven't others solved the problem before?)

Collaboration is a first order activity. Kids are able to collaborate with
their classmates, even when they go home.
The Journal lets students reflect on their work and helps teachers and
students manage student work portfolios
Sugar is free software
Sugar will work across many different computers, including existing and
donated computers, so it reduces the cost of giving kids access to
computing.
Sugar was designed for OLPC so its useful even if kids go home and have no
internet access (Answer the why not just a website argument)

> * What's the immediate action you're taking, and the long-term
> impact/goal you're going to have?

Make Sugar available to kids everywhere, in all languages and on all sorts
of machines

> * Where/how can they find out more? (This can be a URL.)
> * A request - what do you want? Ask for something.

Try it out.
Help us Test
Create an activity
Teacher: Help us create lesson plans for how to use it in classrooms in your
area.
Corporation: Support an implementation or project or a conference, or donate
an employees engineering time.

> Rhetorical techniques for catchiness: See
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech, especially
>
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metonymy
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anadiplosis and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epanalepsis
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiasmus
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symploce as a combination of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaphora and
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistrophe
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyptoton
>
> Bibliography:
>
> http://venturehacks.com/articles/elevator-pitch
> http://www.businessknowhow.com/money/elevator.htm
>
> http://www.dumblittleman.com/2007/08/how-to-craft-killer-elevator-pitch-that.html
>
> http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/may2005/sb2005054_8868_sb037.htm
> (Note: 2005 article, but the author invites readers to "share your
> successful pitches with me via e-mail. I'll gladly tell you what I think
> of the pitch you've crafted." Should we take advantage of this offer?
> Can't hurt.)
>
> http://whohastimeforthis.blogspot.com/2006/01/practicing-art-of-pitchcraft.html
> http://www.elevatorpitchessentials.com/essays/ElevatorPitch.html
> http://www.startupnation.com/pages/contact/elevator_pitch.asp