[IAEP] The status of freenode (one of the communication platform used by Sugar Labs)

Srevin Saju srevinsaju at sugarlabs.org
Wed May 19 11:39:20 EDT 2021

G'day!

Amid the breaking changes happening at Freenode, it would be time to rethink
Sugar Labs's primary mode of communication.

It appears that rasengan (Andrew Lee) of Private Internet Access believes that
ownership of the company Freenode Ltd. gives him the right to unilaterally
replace the current staff team.

Most open source communities are migrating to different communication
platforms, like XMPP, OFTC, Matrix, etc. As we have partially moved to Matrix,
we would perhaps need to make a decision regarding this. The Matrix-IRC bridge
will be shortly discontinued due to privacy concerns.

Important links, ordered by importance:

https://fuchsnet.ch/freenode-resign-letter.txt
https://blog.bofh.it/debian/id_461
https://distfiles.dereferenced.org/stuff/nirvana-log.txt