[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Trisquel image Ready for testing.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Nov 23 00:16:33 EST 2020

On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 05:15:35AM +0100, Martin Guy wrote:
> Thanks. I'm flattered that my previous email became the release
> announcement!
>
> On 23/11/2020, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 22, 2020 at 08:03:02AM +0100, Martin Guy wrote:
> >> - The alsa "Headphone" control is muted, so no sound comes out of
> >>   external speakers. "alsactl init" fixes this but also halves the main
> >>   audio volume, while "amixer set Headphone unmute" makes it work.
> >>   That leaves the Headphone volume at 0 but some sound still comes out
> >>   of the headphone socket.
> >
> > That's probably how ALSA works on your laptop.  It is fixed on OLPC OS
> > by adding alsactl and amixer commands to startup scripts.  It can be
> > fixed longterm on your laptop by changing ALSA defaults upstream.
> >
> > Other Linux desktop environments have moved to PulseAudio, but that's
> > not an option for Sugar yet, needs development.
>
> Sugar Live Build includes pulseaudio, which it says is needed to fix
> speech synthesis,

You're referring to where I said this;
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-live-build/blob/master/src/config/package-lists/desktop.list.chroot#L109

That's a different issue.  GStreamer had transitioned to using
PulseAudio, but Sugar has not.  It means where Sugar or activities use
the espeak plugin, there is a mix of API.

> but that makes pulseaudio the first and default mixer device.

Okay, that suggests the mix of API is no longer a viable solution and
the rest of Sugar must move to PulseAudio more urgently.

Or the adding the pulseaudio package is not the right way to convince
GStreamer to work with ALSA.

Best project to work with on that is GStreamer.

> I didn't get as far as finding the ALSA runes to find
> the correct mixer device. TOAST instead only presents one mixer
> device, the hardware one, so I'm guessing it doesn't include PA though
> speech synthesis does work.

Well, if you can find out how TOAST did this, it could then be done in
Sugar Live Build.

> Onward...

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/