[IAEP] [SLOB] motion regarding GSoC mentor travel

Caryl Bigenho cbigenho at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:58:42 EDT 2018

Hi Folks,

This is the second year that there has been a problem with the costs of GCI mentor travel that went beyond just a simple round trip ticket from A to B and back to A. I think it is time to consider what is causing the problem and come up with an agreeable solution going forward. Adam is correct in saying that foreign travel works differently from domestic.

First and foremost… we should consider that a trip from a place that is many hours away by air, and is perhaps the mentor’s first trip to the US would be a great time for her/him to travel a bit in the country while she/he is here. In fact, it would be a shame if they were not able to take advantage of this opportunity to visit people and places that are important to them and can enrich their experience and background. Still, it is not SugarLabs responsibility to cover the increased costs of doing so.

So, we need a reasonable policy. I can think of two we might consider.

Option 1: SugarLabs could cover the cost of a round trip ticket from the mentor’s home airport to either the US airport closest to the event (e.g. Mentor Summit) OR the airport from which the mentor plans to leave the US… which ever is more.  The mentor would be responsible for finding funds to cover the difference between the more expensive round trip ticket and a more costly “open jaws” ticket. All other travel in the US would be the responsibility of the mentor (with a little help from their friends ( ;-D)).

Option 2: SugarLabs would cover the cost of a round trip ticket from the mentor’s home airport to the US airport closest to the event (e.g. Mentor Summit). The mentor would be free to do any travel within the US to extend their stay after the event, at their own (and/or their friends’ and family’s) expense. But at the end of the travel, they would be expected to return to the airport where they arrived… again at their own expense. Then they would return home on the remaining portion of their regular round trip ticket.

I’ve tried to make this as simple and clear as possible. If others want to edit for greater clarity (or have other options in mind) please do so. The net effect of Option 1 depends a lot in what part of the world the person is coming from. It might even be less expensive than Option 2 for some itineraries.

 I think it would be a very good idea to choose one of these options (or both with instructions to use the one with the lowest net cost), or another option,  and put it to a vote of the SLOB at the October meeting.

Going forward I can see many more mentors wanting to travel after the summit. Having a stated policy in place would help things move more smoothly in the future.

Caryl (aka GrannieB)