[IAEP] [SLOBS] Meeting Reminder

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Oct 4 18:33:39 EDT 2018

At the moment the issue with Freenode requires all of us to register before we can speak.

This impacts new people.  It makes their joining as complicated as any other service with registration requirements.

As D. Joe has observed, if we had our people watching, we could notice new people to let them speak.  We would need to enable this, and somehow cover the different time zones.  As we don’t have enough coverage now to answer the simplest questions from the people we have, we would need some commitment.  That would be the next step in that plan.

I don’t know of any other service we could use that doesn’t require some sort of registration.

We might set up an IRC server ourselves, but then we take on the defence problem that Freenode does for us.

We do have a Jabber server, but I don’t know if it has been attacked in the same way.