[IAEP] NetDispenser Project

C. Cossé ccosse at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 04:41:38 EDT 2018

Hello James,

I am looking for allies and to stimulate new free software development
through creation of an effective tool for parents and teachers.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 11:50 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> Internet access costs are falling rapidly.
>
> "Kids earn their internet access" ... internet access as a currency
> has a very dynamic price, as access is sold, gifted, or shared by
> people at random times and with random pricing.  Motivation rapidly
> collapses in a dynamic price environment.

The device (R-Pi) merely hangs-off the home router, in the prototype use
case, i.e. at home.  Kids earn their access from their parents, or
teachers, as the case may be.  Also, the device can be put into wide-open
mode at any time, so it's just a tool for when it's needed.  I consider
data plans and other ways to get around the system as parenting issues.  It
works great for ages 5-12.

> Unpredictability of access creates a dopamine hit similar to poker
> machine gambling.  Best outcomes for non-addiction are seen from
> unrestricted and consistently available access at low cost.  Lowest
> cost for a child is adult-organised access by their care giver.
>

> Monetary achievements can work for some children, but only where they
> can operate in a free and open economy.  As economies vary in their
> support for children, my preference is to concentrate on the utility
> of the software and exclude consideration of considerations.

In the context of Sugarlabs I am more concerned with stimulating and
incentivizing new, free software development and new ideas.  Much like GSoC
seeks to do, but as a grass-roots, opensource effort as opposed to a major
corporate initiative.

> The license of Sugar and activities does not prevent your charge per
> use model, as the source code remains accessible and free to anyone
> who chooses to escape a walled garden.

I'm not suggesting to charge-per-use.  From the "Big Picture" section at
http://netdispenser.github.io:

> The mere mention of money raises eyebrows. My solution to aleviate
> concerns is to require a modest subscription fee to users who wish to
> utilize the platform, but to enable the subsriber to allocate 100% of their
> fee to the developer(s) of their choice.
>

> So this project would seem to be orthogonal to Sugar, and there's no
> stepping on toes anticipated.

Orthogonal only as far as not trying to be another Sugar, but aligned as
far as stimulating new innovations that are interchangeable with both
environments, Sugar(izer) and NetDispenser.

> May I suggest the following improvements;
>
> 1.  provide for a way for the kids to exchange credits with each
> other, which will give the money more value, and;
>
> 2.  add AI to detect inevitable gaming of the system,

I don't see why a kid would want to exchange credits with another.  We're
trying to create an ecosystem between users and developers, not an economy
between kids.

> Learning under duress has a long history, so I don't see a problem
> with learning still happening within a monetary system.

"Duress" need not be the case.  Design of fun activities is a challenge for
developers, and would be rewarded via p2p allocation of subscriptions.

> As a mechanism for remote supervision of children by an absent care
> giver, it does not seem likely to succeed.  Use cameras and
> microphones instead, combined with _random_ feedback to the children
> on what is observed.

It's not necessarily about "absent care givers".  Sometimes, as a parent,
it's nice to let kids motivate themselves without drama and constant
nagging.  It takes you, the parent, out of the loop.  Kids develop a
bird-birdfeeder relationship with the system and your house becomes more
peaceful so that you can get things done yourself.

-Charles