[IAEP] Sugarlabs - Goals

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Thu Jan 11 17:21:11 EST 2018

Greetings!

Here is a proposal to solicit various goals towards mission of
Sugarlabs. I am sending this out as per my comments on the recent
#sugar-meeting on IRC.

In the past, I have noticed that whenever we propose to discuss
various goals that this community may pursue, we tend to fail quite
rapidly at not arriving at a consensus. It is not that we have
incorrect ideas about how we think the project should proceed. We tend
to disagree prematurely. To remedy the situation, I am proposing that
we gather opinions from the community about goals and do so in a
manner where it remains temporarily shielded from public view. Then,
at a given time (say two weeks) we make all of these items public.
This may reveal if we have convergent ideas or if we are still very
divergent. Either is okay.

Next, we would try to merge similar items into tangible goals with a
specific time frame. Depending on who the champions are for a specific
goal and its objectives, these people may then band together into an
ad-hoc group and pursue said goals.

The time line for this project is relatively short. I propose that we
collect ideas for two weeks. At the end of two weeks, we would then
make the items public, and solicit more ideas for a third week. At the
end of the third week, we would then try to collate similar responses
into clusters of tangible goals. From there on, each set of goals may
be pursued independently, depending on its sponsors, champions,
supporters and participants.

If this sounds like something that will help us move forward, I am
ready to set this in motion. I have already discussed this with
Hillary Naylor, who is an active participant in our OLPC-SF group.
When it's time to collate responses, I may solicit some more help from
some of you.

cheers,
Sameer
--