[IAEP] Sugar Labs - Goals for 2018 and beyond

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Sat Feb 3 16:20:02 EST 2018

Alex,
Can you post it here? https://goo.gl/forms/PV3SV8opzBnb1eqw2

Sameer

On Jan 24, 2018 12:37 PM, "Sameer Verma" <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:28 AM, Alex Perez <aperez at alexperez.com> wrote:
> Sameer,
>
> Apologies for top-posting.
>
> For 2018, I would really like to see Sugar Labs get behind and commit to
> getting the core of Sugar working fully with Python 3. I personally
believe
> this is critical to its long(er) term success, as Python 2 continues be
> deprecated. Python 2 will not be supported at all past 2020 (see
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/)
>
> I asked Walter about the feasibility of this, to which he reiplied "we
had a
> GSoC intern do a pretty thorough investigation a few years ago. Doesn't
look
> like a lot of work for Sugar itself (or the toolkit). But updating all of
> the activities will be a chore."
>
> Personally I would propose that this be done under contract to someone
with
> a very complete understanding of the differences and best coding practices
> between Python 2 and 3 (eg, a "professional"), due to the importance of
> getting this right the first time. Will that cost some money? Absolutely,
> but I suspect that it would be money well spent.
>
> I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Hi Alex,
Thanks for the reply. I was waiting to hear from someone on this.

Instead of replying to your question (for good reasons), I'll comment
on some meta stuff.

1) We want your thoughts, but hold off for a bit. I've got the form
set up for most part. School is back in session this week, so I'm a
bit busy. We'd like your thoughts via that form. In fact, we'd like
your thoughts there, and prevent discussions about it for a bit until
we are ready.

2) The proposal is for Sugarlabs, the organization and not Sugar, the
software project. FOSS projects have their own mechanisms of managing
growth, directions etc. but my current proposal isn't about Sugar the
software project. It is about Sugarlabs, the organization (Note that
SFC is the umbrella under which we operate and utilize SFC for legal
and fiscal affairs, but SFC isn't the org. I know that we use
conflicting terms, but for the purpose of this exercise, I'm going to
ask people to focus on Sugarlabs as the unit of analysis). This is an
important distinction. That said, I'm sure we'll get several
suggestions about Sugar as opposed to Sugarlabs, but we'll take it and
separate out the best we can.

Give me a few days to get things operationalized.

thanks,
Sameer
--
Sameer Verma, Ph.D.