[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] welcoming the new Sugar Labs oversight board members

Rishabh Thaney rishabhthaney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 13:46:51 EST 2018

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 at 7:48 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 22, 2018 at 1:00 AM Rishabh Thaney <rishabhthaney at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the update, Walter and congratulations to all the newly
>> elected members.
>>
>> I would also like to help Samson and Vipul with outreach.
>> Would also like to share that we recently hosted an 'hour of code' with
>> the ACM student chapter of our college in which we went to a school and
>> taught basic programming to the students of 5th grade.
>>
>> I was wondering if Sugar Labs also participates in the ACM Hour of code
>> which takes place every year.
>> Would also like to discuss the possibility of partnering with Code.org
>> and to see if we can list an activity here:
>> https://hourofcode.com/in/en/learn
>>
>> Which I believe would help in outreach and supporting a bigger cause as
>> well.
>> I would request everyone to please share any relevant inputs on this.
>>
> I've watched with dismay over the years as we have gone from summer of
> code to month of code to week of code to day of code to hour of code. That
> said, I know nothing about marketing and obviously this is a good outreach
> opportunity.
>
> Ideas:
> (1) Sugar on RPi install party
> (2) Sugar on a Stick install party
> (3) Write your first interactive paint program in Turtle Blocks
> (4) Write your first song in Music Blocks
> (5) Do X, Y, or Z with a Sugarizer activity.

Thanks for these insights, I think we can list most of these as interactive
modules here:
https://hourofcode.com/in/en/learn

So that people conducting more such programs can also be provided with our
resources which can be used for the HOC.

Though, will have to check how to go about with listing them and are there
any guidelines that need to be followed.

--
Thanks & best regards
Rishabh Thaney
rishabhthaney at gmail.com