[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Sugar Digest 2017-09-12

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:15:08 EDT 2017

On Sep 12, 2017 5:59 PM, "Walter Bender" <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

It has been a long time since I last wrote a Sugar Labs community new blog.
I got tied up with my day jobs: starting a new design college from scratch
and launching a new research center at MIT. (And, frankly, I was a bit
depressed following the deaths of Marvin Minsky and Seymour Papert.) I have
a breather on both fronts and given all of the Sugar activity of late, I am
inspired to do some writing.

1. A footnote from Google Code-in 2015. Ezequiel Pereira, one of the
grand-prize recipients from Sugar Labs was recently acknowledged by Google
for discovering a security bug. He got some nice press, e.g., [1, 2]. In
one article [3], he was quoted as saying: "Homework is boring. Looking for
bugs is fun.” Ezequiel is one of a generation of children in Uruguay who
grew up with Sugar. It is nice to hear the occasional word about their
accomplishments.

2. We just wrapped up Google Code-in and Outreachy 2017. We had 9 interns
supported by Google and 1 Outreachy intern. You can read about their
accomplishments in their blogs [4] and in the meeting logs [5] (every
Monday from May through August). Highlights from the summer include a new,
easy-to-maintain activity portal and a new www.sugarlabs.org, both going
live soon. Also of note: a new Sugar image for Raspberry Pi, some new apps,
GTK3 ports, a Sugarizer dashboard, and a major overhaul of Music Blocks.

Tip of the hat to our mentors: Abhijit Patel, Cristina Del Puerto, Devin
Ulibarri, Hrishi Patel, Ignacio Rodriguez, José Argüello, Lionel Laské,
Matias Baez, Michaël Ohayon, Samson Goddy, Samuel Cantero, and Tony
Anderson. Lionel help me adminsister the program again this year. It is
nice to note that many of the mentors are fomer GCI participants.

Was an amazing experience with awesome projects

Cristina, Michaël, and Samson will be representing Sugar Labs at the annual
mentor summit at Google in October. (For those of you who have been
following the saga of Samson's visa, I am happy to say that he was
approved!)

Yeah, thanks walter, Adam, Hilary and Claudia for helping me get the visa.
It was tricky because i saw over 100 people rejected before i applied. I
that i am going to have a US visa stamped on my passport i won't be worring
about visa refusing in europe(France incident) anymore.

Next step is to search for a good flights to SF and Boston.

3. I was invited to represent Sugar Labs at the Plan Ceibal 10th
anniversary in Montevideo a few months ago. It was great to see children
still using Sugar 10  years after the first deployment in a small school in
the Florida Department. It was also an opportunity to catch up with many
old friends and Sugar contributors, including Ignacio, Andres, Alan, Jose
Miguel, Guzman, etc. I am not sure if my talk is on line, but I wrote a
paper based on the talk which is available for download [6].

4. Lionel just announced a new release of Sugarizer (v0.9). See [7] for all
of the details.

Awesome.

5. James Cameron is working towards the release of Sugar 0.111, our first
new release in nearly one year. It is mostly planned as a maintenance
release.

6. There are only a few more days left (15 Sept.) to register as a
candidate for the Sugar Labs oversight board. Please consider joining the
board as we need some fresh voices and perspectives. See [8] for details.
You also have until 27 Sept. to register as a member in order to be given a
vote in the election. See [9] for details.

7. One of the first decisions the new board will be making is whether or
not Sugar Labs should apply for GCI 2017. I am hopeful that the board will
see the merits of the program and give a green light to apply again this
year. If we do apply, I will be looking for mentors, project ideas, and a
co-administrator. Please contact me if you are interested.

I hope so too.

regards.

-walter

----

[1] https://thenextweb.com/google/2017/08/10/highschool-
security-research-google-data/#.tnw_5BETRGWT
[2] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/10/schoolboy_google_
bug_bounty_http_host/
[3] http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/google-awards-
uruguay-high-school-student-10k-finding/story?id=49249604
[4] https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code
[5] http://meeting.sugarlabs.org/sugar-meeting/meetings
[6] http://www.um.es/ead/red/54/bender.pdf
[7] http://sugarizer.org