[IAEP] Urgent Motion: To add three contributors into the membership/election committee

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Sep 6 21:30:38 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 07:36:03PM -0500, Laura Vargas wrote:
> Not even I should vote on any motion related to the current
> electoral process until current election calendar terminates on
> October 15, 2017 as it could be defined as a "Conflict of Interest".

(a) the motion 2017-14 which was agreed did not relate to the current
electoral process, but to the membership of a committee who is
responsible for implementing the process,

(b) there is no conflict of interest visible; your primary interest is
as a member of the oversight board and a member of the committee, none
of your declared secondary interests include personal benefit,
financial gain, desire for professional advancement, or the wish to do
favours for family or friends.

(c) if there is a conflict of interest that is not yet visible, please
make it visible.

Therefore you had the right to vote on the motion.

> At this point, this a polemical motion.

I've had to look up the word polemical.

The motion that passed was proposed by an oversight board member who
is also a member of the committee; Samson.  If you are saying the
motion was an argument, a controversy, or a verbal or written attack
on you, then I'm surprised.  You might take this up with Samson
privately though.

> I think we need to make allow enough time to set as deadline for the
> OPEN CALL for volunteers for the Membership and Elections Committee
> so that ALL members of SUGAR LABS (r) are invited to join the
> Committee in equal conditions.
>
> I want to underline is super important anyone who wants to join the
> Committee should state it on his/her own during an OPEN CALL.

Your opinion on this is welcome, of course, but following the agreed
motion 2017-14, the committee now consists of Samson, Ignacio, Hrishi,
Pericherla, Ibiam and yourself.

It isn't clear that there is a need for further committee members,
given that the original reason was to enhance transparency.

As the oversight board did not formally decide to make an OPEN CALL,
your message making that call was a personal decision.  Your aim seems
to be "helping out with the tasks related".  It will be interesting to
see who responds.  The committee may still involve as visitors those
yet to be respond.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/