[IAEP] Google Mentors Summit Complete Travel Budget Request

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 16:32:01 EDT 2017

On Sun, Oct 1, 2017 at 3:20 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

> Correction to previous email:
>
> *That means this year program Google's program Budget has already over
> expended** US$ 210 [US$ 2,970 - US$2,000-US$630-US$550] not including yet
> Traveler No2 needs.*
>
> Regards!

>> Dear Google Mentors Summit Program Managers,
>>

>> It is my understanding you both are co-administrators of the Google
>> Mentors Summit for Mentors funds.
>>

>> Lack of a complete Travel Budget may be causing SLOBs not to be able to
>> make further decisions about the mentor's needs versus the mentor's Budget..
>>
>> So far what we (SLOBs) know is:
>>
>> 01 Google donation [US$ 3,300 - 10% SFC = US$ 2,970] was meant for two
>> travelers.

This is incorrect. We are sending 3 people to the Summit. One is traveling
from Nigeria, one is traveling from France, and one from San Francisco. I
don't know what the travel from France entails. The debate over the travel
from Nigeria continues. The travel from San Francisco will cost Sugar Labs
US$0.

02 There is a reimbursement request for US$630 for paying back money
>> advanced to Traveler No1 Samson by one Sugar Labs member.
>> 03 Additionally, with decision 2017-17 *SLOBs*
>> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Oversight_Board/Decisions#2017-09-20>*
>> approved Samson's traveling plans* for 3 days of Google Summit in the
>> City of San Francisco with US$2,000 for an airplane ticket and US$550 as a
>> cash advance.
>>
>> *That means this year program Google's program Budget has already over
>> expended** US$ 210 [US$ 2,970-US$630-US$550] not including yet Traveler
>> No2 needs.*

Not accounted for in your calculations is the additional $4500 that Google
gave to Sugar Labs on behalf of the GSoC mentors. IMHO, it is not at all
unreasonable to put some of those discretionary funds towards mentor travel.

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender