[IAEP] Sugar Labs Community Response Team

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 11:38:36 EST 2017

On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 11:28 AM, Hilary Naylor <hnaylor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I was very surprised to learn that the Ombudsman's ruling is not
> binding. That would certainly make it even harder to find people to serve
> in that role.

The ruling is binding. What is lacking is any mechanism for enforcement.

>   I have a suggestion for a modification to the proposal for a Response
> Team. Rather that a permanent Team, make it a Team that is created as the
> need arises, and that the 3 members are agreed to by the persons in
> dispute, and that both (or all) those in dispute agree to abide by the
> Team's decision. Where should these Team members come from? -- All Sugar
> Labs community members are potential Team members by default except for the
> current SLOBs (and SLOBs candidates if there are any). Team members would
> be drawn by random selection, people may opt-out or be rejected by one or
> more of the disputees, and selection continues until there are three.

It sounds like you are proposing a jury of one's peers. But I think the
need goes well beyond making a ruling. There is a good deal of
investigation and mediation that is not typical of the responsibilities
given to a jury. I think that the role of ombudsman (and/or membership on a
Response Team) requires a level of maturity and experience that would be
hard to guarantee in your proposed approach.

> Your thoughts?
>
> cheers
> Hilary

Walter Bender