[IAEP] [SLOBS] [SLOB] email motion re Scratch Conference

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sat May 20 12:29:55 EDT 2017

1) Lionel is correct to suggest that some-or-most of the $2800 could
disappear, if France rejects visas (every reasonably-priced flight is
non-refundable in 2017; these funds would be lost).  Not at all an abstract
hypothetical: France's visa approval process may require the flight be
purchased in advance, and Samson's expenses traveling around Nigeria
(flights, hotels etc) just to get a visa potentially be lost as well.

In any case, I cannot count the number of times this has happened to good
people with the *Very Best of Intentions*, people I've known to be the
purest souls, whose visa AND flight funds completely disappeared as a
result of their overseas visas/entry being rejected, based on one
mysterious technicality or another.

Worse yet: the (presumed, but not quite!) attendee generally has to pay for
all lost funds themselves in such situations, as compensation is not
possible when the conference/event was not in fact attended.

2) $2800 is far too high of a sum for Sugar Labs to gamble on such an
uncertain outcome.  Some of the most productive hackers I know in Haiti
live on $1000 per year total (or less).  I have flown to work with them and
similar/such people on other continents over the past year, where the grand
total cost was less than $500 (Asia and Europe) in all cases, by staying in
other hackers/contributors homes.

Conversely, flying to the EU mid-summer in the height of tourist season, is
about as expensive as it gets.

As such, a more financially judicious gamble might involve a carefully
thought-out proposal for one single individual to attend.  Likely an
individual who has the strongest track record of getting EU visas
approved?  Or perhaps an individual who has established contacts /
diplomatic connections within the French government, a high-level contact
who cares about children and free software etc, to guarantee the visa will
be approved?

3) Laura Vargas is correct SFC cannot generally provide funds in advance,
so the mechanics of this entire proposal remain unclear.  Not reassuring
when flight prices are already rising less than 2 months before the event.
But possibly a (presumed) attendee can arrange a personal loan from a
friend, to cover all funds in advance, to be reimbursed by SFC later if
nothing goes wrong with the visa?

4) If an improved proposal is indeed appropriate at this late stage, what
community deliverables/artifacts will the attendee(s) publish and/or
contribute in the end, preferably on the public record for all to share?

ASIDE: What is the exact/estimated total that Scratch itself has offered to
contribute?