[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] New ASLO Project Definition

Sam Parkinson sam at sam.today
Fri May 19 18:36:35 EDT 2017

Hi All,

Just thought I'd tune in with some thoughts about the ASLO.

On Fri, 2017-05-19 at 15:21 +0530, Jatin Dhankhar wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> > Welcome to the Sugar Labs community, When reworking ASLO (a very
> > valuable project), please do keep internationalization (i18n) and
> > localization (L10n) in mind.  You may or may not know that we do
> > host
> > PO files for L10n of NewASLO on our Pootle translation server:
> > https://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/NewAslo/
>
> Yes, Tony discussed the same points regarding i18n with me earlier on
> email.
>
> > I think you are familiar with Pootle. The trick with Django is that
> > the display of strings is indirect.
>
> Pootle is built upon Django, so it should be readily available and
> easy to plug.
>
> > Sam Cantaro mentioned using webhooks to notify ASLO when a new
> > activity version has been released. Perhaps such a hook could be
> > used to notify you of the need to review localization for the
> > activity and another hook to notify ASLO to update the bundle to
> > integrate the localization.
>
> I think this is the right approach.

Yeah.  One thing you need to be careful of is releases.  Not every
commit should be packaged up and posted on the ASLO.

There are a few ways that you could do this.  You could search for the
commits which the version number is changed.  Or you could use github
releases.  Or you could have a "master" and "published" branch.  So
many options.

Also I don't know if this has been discusses, but there is a build step
that you need to run.  You need to generate ".xo" files from the git
repos.  You might be intersted in the ASLO2 bot code, which handles
metadata-extraction (getting summary, title, screenshots, etc) and
bundle building:  https://github.com/samdroid-apps/aslo/blob/master/bot
/main.py  <-- that even handles extraction of translated names from a
po file

> From the conversations so far and looking at the ASLO 3 Proposal, we
> are using webhooks to notify ASLO of any changes, whether it is
> adding a new activity, or updating an existing one. I have one
> question, how will an activity get approved prior to it's release on
> ASLO ?  Suppose a developer wants to create a new activity and upload
> it to ASLO. Of course, prior to release, the activity needs to be
> verified/moderated. Will be there an intermediate step? Since
> developer needs to be member of sugar-activites organization to
> publish an activity there or will there be another repository
> containing names of verified repo, which build server will check on
> each webhook ?
> What I suggest is to use the Pull request reviews to moderate an
> activity and when an activity is signed off as okay but X number of
>  senior members then only it should be considered for ASLO.
>
> My main query is, how we will accomplish moderation and publishing to
> ASLO using Github as a tool ? I might be wrong about the whole
> moderation thing but a healthy discussion will hopefully lead us in
> the right direction.

I think using GitHub as a base for the ASLO is a really simple idea.
Right now we have the issue that we don't know where a lot of the code
for activities actually is.  If all activities on ALSO's offical
repository is on github.com/sugar-activities, that will really simplify
things.

>From the perspective of adding a new activities; I think we don't need
to overthink it.  People can just send an email to the mailing list,
requesting to have a repository added to github.com/sugar-activities.
Then that can be done manually if approved.

As for moderating updates, I'm not sure that it is the right idea to
moderate updates.  We already have the issue that the moderation queue
on ASLO grows very long.  So maybe we just trust the people who are
granted push access to sugar-activities repositories?  If we don't,
just make the sugar-activities repo be a fork of the original, which is
updated occasionally by a trusted person.

If we keep it all on github, github basically becomes our database!
Writing less code & hosting less services === better IMHO.

---
Thanks,
Sam

https://learntemail.sam.today/