[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] (Goals and Mission) with Microsoft in it?

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 17 01:47:06 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 09:23:55PM -0400, Samuel Cantero wrote:
>     Samuel Cantero wrote:
>     > we're going to try to build a new ASLO in GSoC which must ease
>     > activities management, for both image builders and developers.
>
>     Please also consider Sugar Network, which Sebastian knows about, and
>     is used heavily, judging by the hit counts on the Sugar Labs servers.
>
> Can someone explain the relationship between ASLO and Sugar network?

Nobody has answered your question, so I'll have a go.

A derivative relationship; data flows from ASLO to Sugar Network.

Any changes you make in ASLO that affect how the data is presented may
have impact on Sugar Network.

Also, don't forget that OLPC laptops and Sugar itself fetches data
from ASLO, using the Software Update feature.  Look through the source
for that; in the /sugar/ and /browse-activity/ repositories.

You should also look at access logs on the server to make sure you
understand what is happening.  Let me know what you find.

> Pitifully we can't work in ASLO and Sugar network at the same time,
> but we can take into account what is needed for interaction with
> Sugar network. At least in design in the first stage.

I've not seen any design yet.  Looking forward to it.

ASLO works well at the moment now that the critical bugs are fixed;
could you please estimate if the effort required to fix the remaining
bugs?

	https://github.com/sugarlabs/aslo/issues

The final accepted proposal is still paywalled; so anything Jatin has
said is opaque and non-transparent.  Is Jatin subscribed here yet?
Can the proposal be posted or is there some reason for secrecy?

	https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2017

There was a copy posted on 2nd April on sugar-devel@ ... but I don't
know if that version is current ... which mentions developing a new
ASLO ...

Developing a new ASLO has been tried before, by Sam Parkinson, and it
did not get enough traction, and was shut down; we've only just
finished removed the changes from Sugar.  It was also a git based
backend.  After that experience, I really don't think we need another
ASLO.

Please, maintain the existing ASLO first, as a priority.

I see no reason to host ASLO on GitHub or bind it too closely to that
social network.

Activity release is not a complicated process; we lack maintainers,
not tools.

ASLO is a fairly straightforward web application; and the languages
used are on the knowledge prerequisites for the GSoC task, and easy to
pick up.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/