[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] (Goals and Mission) with Microsoft in it?

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Fri May 12 10:28:33 EDT 2017

Hi Samson,

Sugar barely runs on modern GNU/Linux, as it is stuck depending on old,
unsupported libraries (e.g. Collaboration is broken, TamTam doesn't
run). Important bugs go unnoticed (Browse 200 didn't launch for months
with a trivial unreported bug).

Sugar Labs is committed to releasing Sugar every six months
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/index.php?search=six+months&title=Special%3ASearch&go=Go>.
The wiki home page says Sam Parkinson is our release manager, but the
page was last updated in July 2016, and I don't think this is the case
anymore (but it's not known). We have no release schedule
<https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.112/Roadmap>. and a question about it
recently went without answer.

I don't see Sugar Labs organization as capable of strategically funding
Sugar development in any direction. Of course, volunteers can work in
whatever they like, if it fits their principles.

Regards,

Sebastian