[IAEP] Sugarizer localization

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 13:50:19 EDT 2017

Dear Friends,

Many of you know of the Sugarizer project from OLPC France:

http://sugarizer.org/

If you've never run a Sugar environment on your own computer, the Web
app is an awesome way to "get a taste of Sugar" in your web-broswer.

http://try.sugarizer.org/

The Sugarizer project is essentially a port of Python-based Sugar into
Javascript-based Sugarizer.  One of it's challenges has been a less
mature/familiar i18n/L10n toolchain for Javascript, but that continues
to evolve over time.  Lionel Llaske recently shared a PO file drawn
from the JS .ini files and I've converted it into a PO template file
(and individual language files) and posted it on Pootle.

https://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/Sugarizer/

We are still in the experimental phase of facilitating localization of
Sugarizer via our Pootle server, but I would like to encourage our
language communities to ask me for a Sugarizer project to be set up
for their language or to complete an existing language's PO file.

I'll be continuing to work on this (e.g. fixing typos in the i18n,
trying to harmonize strings between Sugar and Sugarizer to allow for
re-use, etc.) and I hope to collaborate with the Sugarizer team on
improving the i18n/L10n workflow, from intensively manual at present
to something that can be repeatedly easily via scripts / toolchain
improvements.  I can't promise fast turn around of your translation
work at this point, but I do need some completed PO files as the raw
material for improving the overall i18/L10n process, so your
contributions would be most welcome.

Regards,

cjl