[IAEP] MOTION to budget professional services for a Yoruba-Igbo XO build WAS [Re: Yoruba localization contract completed

David Ally david_ally at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 12:17:35 EDT 2017

I am based in Abuja, I hardly come around to Lagos, even though I grew up in Lagos. I plan to visit Lagos State University this month to meet with the President of Linguistic Association of Nigeria, I am not sure if I can plan the trip to coincide with your presence in Lagos, either way let's share some thought on this translation project please.
I should be in the US in July for about 3weeks, if there is any important event relating to this I could find time to attend.

Regards!David

On Saturday, June 3, 2017, 5:05:44 PM GMT+1, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

>> > So, I propose the following Motion:
>> >
>> > SL will allocate a budget of US$TBD for "professional services" required
>> > create a fitable image for Samson's and Ibiam's young XO partners in
>> > Africa.
>> > SL will make an open call to the mailing list to find one or more
>> > professional to do it.
>> >

>> > Hope we can start using SL money to actually outreach Sugar learners!
>> >

>> The PO files have been committed to the relevant repos and as new
>> Activity releases have been made (thanks Quozl for your recent
>> Fructose push) they have been made available via ASLO.  It is true
>> that a build of the core UI strings would be needed, but I thought
>> that might come via a new SOAS release.
>>
>> Are you proposing a custom build for Nigeria?
>

> Yes.
>>

>> If so, I would request that OLPC switch desktop PO file for Igbo be
>> completed before such an attempt was made.
>

> I understand there would be technical and academic considerations in order
> to detail the work to be done. I hope you can guide the execution from the
> translation's POV.

Of course, I would welcome the opportunity to assist.

> The objective of the motion is to define if it is worth to rescue all the
> work and investment (community's time and money) done last year by Sugar
> Labs on Samson's and Ibiam's line of work.

A funded project for a single-purpose build would not be as valuable
as adding a component to it that included improving documentation (and
possibly toolchain) of the custom-build process in such a way that it
is more easily repeated by others.  That way it is an investment in a
repeatable process, not a single product.  Just a thought.

cjl
IAEP at lists.sugarlabs.org