[IAEP] MOTION to budget professional services for a Yoruba-Igbo XO build WAS [Re: Yoruba localization contract completed

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Sat Jun 3 10:02:28 EDT 2017

> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org>
> wrote:
> > Hi SLOBs,
> >
> > Some time has passed and this wonderful translations haven't reach the
> > children yet!
> >
> > The PO files exists, but there is an urgent need to create a build that
> > includes them so that Samson and Ibiam can get it distributed among their
> > young XO learners partners.
> >
> > So, I propose the following Motion:
> >
> > SL will allocate a budget of US$TBD for "professional services" required
> > create a fitable image for Samson's and Ibiam's young XO partners in
> Africa.
> > SL will make an open call to the mailing list to find one or more
> > professional to do it.
> >

> > Hope we can start using SL money to actually outreach Sugar learners!
> >

> The PO files have been committed to the relevant repos and as new
> Activity releases have been made (thanks Quozl for your recent
> Fructose push) they have been made available via ASLO.  It is true
> that a build of the core UI strings would be needed, but I thought
> that might come via a new SOAS release.
>
> Are you proposing a custom build for Nigeria?

Yes.

> If so, I would request that OLPC switch desktop PO file for Igbo be
> completed before such an attempt was made.

I understand there would be technical and academic considerations in order
to detail the work to be done. I hope you can guide the execution from the
translation's POV.

The objective of the motion is to define if it is worth to rescue all the
work and investment (community's time and money) done last year by Sugar
Labs on Samson's and Ibiam's line of work.

The argument to approve such translation in the first place was to outreach
+2,000 XO learners in their native languages and therefore a SOAS build is
a nice idea but won't help us finish the job.

> I have been speaking to Samson about trying to organize further
> volunteer efforts in Yoruba and Igbo and if an early-stage image build
> would truly help kickstart that volunteer effort, then I think it
> could be useful.  If a custom image is being made, we'll need to touch
> base on a few things (some confusion about glibc locale name for Igbo,
> ig versus ibo), which are relatively easily worked around if taken
> into account early in the process. I'd encourage an image that carried
> Virtaal on the GNU boot to help out with L10n efforts.
>
> cjl

Laura V.
* I&D SomosAZUCAR.Org*

“Solo la tecnología libre nos hará libres.”
~ Laura Victoria

Happy Learning!
#LearningByDoing
#Projects4good