[IAEP] [SLOBS] SLOB motion

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 07:14:58 EDT 2017

Hi adam,

I want to clarify some things with you.

On Jun 1, 2017 11:50 AM, "Adam Holt" <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 5:47 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>
 wrote:

I'd like to queue up this motion before our monthly meeting on Friday:

Motion: Allocate $800 towards the expenses associated with Samson Goddy
presenting Sugar at the Scratch Conference in Bordeaux, France in July 2017
(See [1] for details).

This would set a terrible precedent for Sugar Labs to pay $800 for a visa
alone.

Flight and other things connected.

Far worse, when in fact it can be done for less.

Strange that my parents spent an important part of their lives teaching  in
Nigeria and I happen to know more about modern Lagos (where Samson would
apply for his French govt visa) than a steady stream of hyperbolic claims
have insinuated.

I am a Nigerian, you are not. If you look at caryl email you will see that
2017 is the worst year in the whole nigeria history in terms of economy.
Most things you see in the internet are purely last year. Things are crazy
expensive in Nigeria. I spent close to 80USD per month for internet only.

And we don't use dollar in Nigeria just naira. And naira is not valuable.

As such I will continue to vote My Conscience -- *AGAINST THIS MOTION with
respect for all and malice toward none* -- up until the point where:

1) The total is reduced to $500 (receipts provided per SFConservancy
policies).

If $800 can't be given to me, i am okay with  $500-600. Just that it will
make me use lot of my savings i have been keeping for my internet plan.
Half is better than none.

2) It is clarified in writing (within the motion or nearby) what happens if
the money disappears, if the French Govt insists on rejecting Samson's visa
application.  (In short: would Sugar Labs or Scratch pay this up-to-$500 ?)

I am the one taking the risk not Sugar Labs.

You mention last time that if i can get money elsewhere and be successful
with the visa.. Sugar Labs will grant me repay me.

The money is to paid to me not scratch..

Right now Scratch already sent me some money for Ibiam's passport. Which he
will be having soon, they are alo looking for a way to get Ibiam to
bordeaux since the community chose not to help.

Important: There's absolutely no need to wait for a monthly meeting here,
so that Samson (or other urgent matters such as this) are not left waiting.

I think friday will be a good day to vote. There is no rush. I am to go to
lagos bu 11th of june.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/152VDfUcdcGOHOFBLT3lG15sU
FpzBeuBCGiNAGCSOLj4/edit?usp=sharing

regards.