[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] Google Code In wrap up

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Jan 17 17:41:07 EST 2017

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>> Regarding a possible move from IRC to Slack, or Gitter, or something
>> else as suggested by Ignacio, I wonder that we could just upgrade
>> http://chat.sugarlabs.org from qwebchat to http://demo.shout-irc.com
>> :)

Quoting Walter Bender (2017-01-17 22:57:22)
> There is also matrix.org, which is FOSS AFAIK and seems to let one
> integrate irc with other channels people may prefer. I suggest a few
> passionate community members give some of these systems a test-drive
> and then convince us old-timers that we ought to learn some new
> tricks.

The OFTC.net irc channel #debian-in where I hang out recently did
several tests with bridging multiple chat systems - irc and Jabber and
matrix.org.

Old-timers like me got frustrated when a bridge was setup where Jabber
users appeared in irc not as individual users but as a bot echoing
messages from a Jabber room.  At the Jabber end they felt comfortable,
but at the irc end we felt that it was not an equal conversation when
e.g. you cannot use TAB to complete the nick of one you want to address.

Another bridge between irc and matrix.org was tested, better but now
each participant had duplicate nicks, with the matrix.org connection
having a "[m]" suffix.

Neither of those to me annoying bridges was setup by me so I don't know
the details of the software used.  I can ask, if really interested.

A third bridge that looks promising is Biboumi.  We tested only briefly
so far but it looks like it properly represents each participant without
a visible bot in-between or dublicated nicks.

 - Jonas