[IAEP] Sugar Labs 2017 Budget

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 17:45:13 EST 2017

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

>> Hello Again....
>>

> Hola Caryl,
>>
>> The "Badge" proposal is a totally inappropriate use of SL funds and could
>> result in litigation and the possible end of SugarLabs.
>>

> Please do elaborate on this. We have already allocated stipends for active
> members in the past. As I recall Chris Leonard had an 8 month stipend of US$
> 1,000.
>
> What would be difference?

To clarify, I had negotiated a contract with Sugar Labs / SFC for a
monthly stipend to support the Translation Manager position.  I did
NOT submit a single invoice for that work (which I have been doing)
and allowed the contract to lapse.  I have not received a dime from
Sugar Labs funds in in the 10 years I have been volunteering and I
have come to regret that I opened the door to the current effort to
drain those funds into members pockets.

I believe the funds (the majority of which come from the TripAdvisor
grant obtained by Walter) should go to their intended purpose,
supporting TurtleArt promotion and internationalization and
localization efforts.  I understand that for legal reasons the funds
are officially considered fungible and in a general pool, but I
believe we should honor the original intent of the donor.

cjl

I now regret having opened the door to paid efforts