[IAEP] [SLOBS] Sugar Labs 2017 Budget

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 07:57:49 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 5:39 AM, Sam Parkinson <sam at sam.today> wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-02-25 at 08:36 +0530, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > Actually I am not convinced of this; I do not believe that the latest
> > releases of the Python codebase reach classrooms, and the js codebase
> > only reaches one.
> >
> > One of the projects listed is social help. It's a fine idea, but a
> > cursory look at the site shows it has extremely low activity. I think
> > it would be better to shut it down.
>
> Sugar tries to literally replace every part of the computer that a user
> sees.  And believe it or not; that is a hard goal for a small free
> software community.  3 people in their spare time can't replace the
> years of work poured into every other desktop environment & their
> software.
>
> You're 100% spot on.  The future of SL is things like TurtleJS.

I am obviously a fan of Turtle (and Music Blocks), but I am convinced that,
for example, Sugar on Raspberry PI has a big future. It is a very
experience, relatively easy to set up, and a good fit for the maker space.
We should push hard to really make the process smooth and robust.

-walter

> --
> Thanks,
> Sam
>
> https://www.sam.today/
>
> Latest blog post: Local Politicians Meet InfoSec - a Wordpress Disaster -
> https://learntemail.sam.today/blog/local-politicians-meet-
> infosec-a-wordpress-disaster/

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs