[IAEP] Sugar Labs 2017 Budget

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Feb 24 22:06:52 EST 2017

On Feb 25, 2017 1:31 AM, "Martin Abente Lahaye" <tch at sugarlabs.org> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 4:49 PM, Samson Goddy <samsongoddy at sugarlabs.org>
wrote:

> Hi martin,
>
> i believe this is it

Thanks!

> Some time ago Aleksey suggested to the list, that we should sponsor with
> US$500/month to active Sugar Labs contributors in need on a monthly basis.
>
> Today we have many active contributors that are vital to the Sugar Labs
> ecosystem

Actually I am not convinced of this; I do not believe that the latest
releases of the Python codebase reach classrooms, and the js codebase only
reaches one.

One of the projects listed is social help. It's a fine idea, but a cursory
look at the site shows it has extremely low activity. I think it would be
better to shut it down.

and many of them have expressed they are somehow in need of financial
> resources, perhaps it is time we retribute them with trust and monthly
> donations.
>
> At the same time and as part of the Marketing and Funding plan, there is
> interest among active contributors to start an implementation of Open
> Badges for Sugar Labs.
>
> I personally believe, Open Badges may be one way to open channels for
> resources to flow to active contributors.

While resources can flow through SFC, where are the resources coming from?
The SL general fund is not a source, it is a destination for funds. Eg,
Gsoc and gci pay contributors and also pay into the SL general fund. Other
grant opportunities exist.

But the whole sugar labs  doesn't have a direction that makes sense, so
applying successfully for grants is not possible.

According to our financial status, I calculated at least 7 badges with
> stipends can be created and granted on a yearly basis starting 2017.
>
> Under this model and for the first year (03/2017 - 03/2018), each badge
> could have a US$500/month stipend attached, for a total of US$3,500 per
> month, totaling US$ 42,000 per year in stipends [1] to Active contributors.
>
> The beneficiary or "badge holder" can choose to accept our* monthly
> donation* or if not in need can also choose to pass it on to any active
> contributor in need or to give it back to the General Funds account. I
> volunteer myself to co-manage payments and logistics with Adam and SFC and
> Ignacio has volunteer to lead the development of the Badges.
>
> Here are the names for the badges with stipends and their holders I'm
> proposing for the first year of the model:
>
> # 1 Infrastructure Hero - Samuel Cantero
> # 2 Infrastructure Hero - Sebastian Silva
> # 3 Release Manager - Ignacio Rodriguez
> # 4 Translations Manager - Chris Leonard
> # 5 Marketing Team Leader - Samson Goddy
> # 6 Sugar Network Project Leader - Laura Vargas
> # 7 Social Help Project Leader - Sam Parkinson
>
> Here are the names for the badges without stipends and their holders I'm
> proposing for the first year of the model:
>
> # 8 Sugarizer Project Leader - Lionel Laske
> # 9 Sugar Labs Honor Badge - Walter Bender
> # 10 Secretary - Dave Crossland
> # 11 Treasure Keeper - Adam Holt
>
> Please share your toughs on the subject.

Is there a plan to ensure that this proposal is financially sustainable?
e.g. What will SL do in concrete to ensure that it won't run out of funds
after 2 years?

Exactly :)