[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion for Social Media Manager

Samson Goddy samsongoddy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 02:28:43 EST 2017

On 18 Feb 2017 1:23 a.m., "Tymon Radzik" <dwgipk at gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, of course i know that $100 won't be enough for ads, because
facebook charge around $5 a day (lowest rate). But the idea behind the 1k
is to make sure that the necessary things are carried out more like some
minor payments. Especially when you are using expensive ads on platform
like Twitter.

So don't you think we should in first place concentrate on the most
socially impactful thing = ads before we start giving salaries?

I don't think, i know so.

Also, I know many volunteers who get their work done without being paid a
cent, because they have developed self-discipline, motivation and they know
they're doing something good and beneficial. That's enough reward for them.
I am sure we have many such people in Sugar Labs. We don't need hiring. Let
us make a team and get it working.

Social Media Manager role is not a volunteer role. Because of the duty, but
others can volunteer. SMM role is a duty to make Sugar Labs and it's
content known.

Regardless of stated above, the ratio between advertisment budget and
propsed salary is definietely unacceptable.

The 1k comes with a responsibility, a responsibility of contact a content
creator to give content. SMM manager pays the content creator  per basic.
Try to google an average salary of SMM you will be seeing roughly
$30,000-40,000k annually. SL do not have that kind of money to spend a
year. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't start. So that why i prepared the
lowest pay that i can think of.

I am speaking from experience, because i am one of the Social Media Manager
in my church, it practically cost more than that 1.1k proposed. I don't
want the community to see it as salary but funds for getting the necessary
things done in a month. I also mentioned giving back (funding) there are
also many ways to get funds from the media down to SL account but i would
have to ask SFC for guidance on how to know which funds to take.

Well, maybe I understand you wrong, because I understood it plainly as a
salary. What are these special expenses you are mentioning? If there really
are some, I think we can make a budget for these expenses and the SMM gets
reimburesed after showing receipts.

Even if it is a Salary, as i mentioned earlier, i am a volunteer at my
church but i am pay monthly basic due to the work i do. As stated above,
The 1k comes with a responsibility, SMM will pay content creator of work
done.

Getting funds from sponsors - great thing. Still, we can spend them in
other way than hiring. Let us make a team and get things done!

Clearly you didn't understand my statement, i said SMM will also use Social
media to target funds down to Sugar accounts, there are many ways to do it,
i also mentioned earlier that i would also work with SFC to know which
funds to take and not to take.

Like i mentioned few months back, it up to the Community to decide what
they want to make Sugar Labs grow further. Because i see us moving in a

Circle.

IMO making a paid SMM function won't break this circle (if it ever exists)
and have crucial impact on SL grow. To get SL growing we should first and
foremost concentrate on development, accessibility and making partnerships.

Everyone see things differently.

In case you don't know, i have been doing it already for free. I handle all
SL social accounts except LinkedIn, which i am trying to know who owns the
account. I saw a need for funding. We are doing really well on twitter
attracting new and old users. Same goes to Instagram, i pushed the Facebook
users from around 500 followers to 700 followers due to steady activities.
Instagram i posted pictures without looking for a graphic designer. You can
take a look it them. I saw that if it is funded, sky wil be SL limit based
on what i have seen.

I keep saying it it all based on how we intend to grow bigger though,
letting people out there know that we can offer Sugar too outside OLPC.

Best,
Tymon

Regards
Samson