[IAEP] [SLOBS] Motion for Social Media Manager

Tymon Radzik dwgipk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:48:36 EST 2017

I am not SLOBs member, however I'd like to share my opinion with you.

I have to agree with Ignacio, I am completely against making proposed
"Social Media Manager" function to be paid.

First and foremost, because Sugar Labs is *volunteer-driven *project. The
idea is that members work for free supporting a good cause, the free
software. We should hire only when some extraordinary skills / exceptional
amount of time (like e.g. "full time educator") is neccessary to correctly
perfom one's duties. Creating other permanent paid functions inside the
community would cause somehow dangerous precedent. And even if, the
"salary" should be adequte to funds spent on buying ads. $100 budget for
advertising in comparsion with $1,000 salary is unacceptable for me.

Also in my opinion we should set some requirements for candidates for this
position, like: fluent knowledge of English and one another language,
significant experience in different social media channels, ability to
handle rough situations, responsibility, patience, PR skills. I am sure we
can find someone who could meet them in the group of SL members/volunteers.

Finally, I don't know whether having social media team with one coordinator
would not be better and less time consuming. The idea in general needs
further consideration.

Best,
Tymon

sob., 18 lut 2017 o 00:15 użytkownik Samson Goddy <samsongoddy at gmail.com>