[IAEP] Funds/Marketing

Laura Vargas laura at somosazucar.org
Wed Feb 15 13:35:37 EST 2017

Some time ago Aleksey suggested to the list, that we should sponsor with
US$500/month to active Sugar Labs contributors in need on a monthly basis.

Today we have many active contributors that are vital to the Sugar Labs
ecosystem and many of them have expressed they are somehow in need of
financial resources, perhaps it is time we retribute them with trust and
monthly donations.

At the same time and as part of the Marketing and Funding plan, there is
interest among active contributors to start an implementation of Open
Badges for Sugar Labs.

I personally believe, Open Badges may be one way to open channels for
resources to flow to active contributors.

According to our financial status, I calculated at least 7 badges with
stipends can be created and granted on a yearly basis starting 2017.

Under this model and for the first year (03/2017 - 03/2018), each badge
could have a US$500/month stipend attached, for a total of US$3,500 per
month, totaling US$ 42,000 per year in stipends [1] to Active contributors.

The beneficiary or "badge holder" can choose to accept our* monthly
donation* or if not in need can also choose to pass it on to any active
contributor in need or to give it back to the General Funds account. I
volunteer myself to co-manage payments and logistics with Adam and SFC and
Ignacio has volunteer to lead the development of the Badges.

Here are the names for the badges with stipends and their holders I'm
proposing for the first year of the model:

# 1 Infrastructure Hero - Samuel Cantero
# 2 Infrastructure Hero - Sebastian Silva
# 3 Release Manager - Ignacio Rodriguez
# 4 Translations Manager - Chris Leonard
# 5 Marketing Team Leader - Samson Goddy
# 6 Sugar Network Project Leader - Laura Vargas
# 7 Social Help Project Leader - Sam Parkinson

Here are the names for the badges without stipends and their holders I'm
proposing for the first year of the model:

# 8 Sugarizer Project Leader - Lionel Laske
# 9 Sugar Labs Honor Badge - Walter Bender
# 10 Secretary - Dave Crossland
# 11 Treasure Keeper - Adam Holt

Please share your toughs on the subject.

If you consider there are more Badges and/or Badge holders that should be
considered for the first year, please feel free to nominate someone else or
yourself and give a name to the Badge.

Also, if you have a strong opposition to the model or to any of the listed
badges or badge holders, please share the reasons openly.

Hopefully by the end of next week we can give it a try to put it all into a
single motion :D

Best regards and blessings for all,
Laura Victoria

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stipend