[IAEP] [SLOBS] Outreachy motion

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Feb 14 14:06:47 EST 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:48 PM, Laura Vargas <laura at somosazucar.org> wrote:

>> Laura suggested [1] that I make a formal motion to the board regarding
>> Sugar Labs participation in Outreachy. Here it is:
>>
>> Motion: Sugar Labs agrees to participate in Outreachy 14 in order to
>> promote and support women and minority participation in FOSS projects. The
>> cost would be $5500 for one internship. The funds would come from our
>> general funds.
>>

> Adam,
>
> Before board members get to vote on General Funds, can you please share
> the current balance of the General Funds account?
>
> Last meeting you mentioned Sugar Labs counts with ~US$80,983.40 in total,
> still some percentage of that balance might still corresponds to the 2013
> Trip Advisor grant.
>
> Can you please specify.

The entirety is General Funds.  2013's Trip Advisor's 2-years of funding
were contractually expected (if not required) to have been spent by
July/August 2015, when a report was due towards receiving an additional
$40,000 from Trip Advisor for a 3rd and final year (Sugar Labs did not send
this report it seems, hence those final $40,000 did not arrive).

Even before July/August 2015, Trip Advisor funds were fully fungible (Sugar
Labs General Funds) according to Software Freedom Conservancy Executive
Director Karen Sandler, who checked with her lawyer.  Of course honoring
the general intent of the mid-2013 to mid-2015 grant (long since lapsed in
2017) would still be respectful of Trip Advisor's intentions where we can.

Thank you and kind regards,