[IAEP] Sugar Labs mission statment

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 07:02:37 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 28, 2017 at 1:56 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:

> Hi, Laura
>
> With your and Walter's opinions, may be it is time to rethink mine.

Tony,

One nice thing about the community that Laura mentioned is that it is
supportive of multiple points of view.

That said, Google's mission statement doesn't even mention search.

> With Sebastian's techniques the software tools can be run in any
> Gnome-compatible desktop. There is no need for Sugar.

There is no need for Sugar to run Sugar apps, at least in theory (in
practice i have not had much luck applying "Sebastian's techniques). But
the Sugar Desktop is central to how those apps are used in support of our
mission.

> SFC does not permit Sugar Labs to have labs. So without Sugar and without
> labs, perhaps after this mission statement, we to consider how to rename
> the project.

The SFC never developed the instruments to allow us to directly support our
"labs" financially, one of the long-standing struggles we have had. But we
can and do still provide other mechanisms of support. (again i refer to the
community that Laura mentioned and the body of work it produces.)

regards.

-walter

--
Walter Bender