[IAEP] [Sugar-devel] 2017 Goals for Sugar Labs

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Apr 12 03:09:47 EDT 2017

I am extremely disappointed with the direction this thread is taking.
Based on our experience with the 2016 goals, this emphasis on starting
over will lead to a restatement of the 2017 goals which at the end of
the year will be as close to reality as they are today.

The heart of Walter's document is:

"We have several near-term opportunities that we should leverage:

  * Raspian: The Raspberry Pi 3 is more than adequate to run Sugar—the
    experience rivals or exceeds that of the OLPC XO-4 hardware, though
    not the OLPC NL3 hardware. While Raspberry Pi is not the only
    platform we should be targeting, it does have broad penetration into
    the Maker community, which shares a synergy with our emphasis on
    “doing”. It is low-hanging fruit. With a little polish we could have
    an image available for download from the Raspberry Pi website.
  * Trisquel: We have the potential for better leveraging the Free
    Software Foundation as a vehicle for promoting Sugar. Their distro
    of choice is Trisquel and the maintainer does a great job of keep
    the Sugar packages up to date.
  * Sugarizer: The advantage of Sugarizer is that it has the potential
    of reaching orders of magnitude more users since it is web-based and
    runs in Android and iOS. There is some work to be done to make the
    experience palatable on small screens and the current development
    environment is—at least my opinion—not scalable or maintainable. The
    former is a formidable problem. The latter quite easy to address.
  * Stand-alone projects such as Music Blocks have merit as long as they
    maintain both a degree of connection with Sugar and promote the
    values of the community. It is not certain that these projects will
    lead users towards Sugar, but they do promote FOSS and
    Constructionist principles. And they have attracted new developers
    to the Sugar community."

Lionel Laske offered this response:

"Thanks a lot for this long proposal. Great to hear you on that.
I think that it's more a Sugar history than a goal/vision but it's good
to read it from a guy that was the major contributor of the history.

BTW I'm not agree with your goals.
My view is that it's not a good idea to limit Sugar/SugarLabs to
makers.  We can't target a so small market:
- RaspberryPI ? RPI is a great tool. I personally used 2 RPI weekly for
my personal usage. But it's a tool for geeks not for learners. It could
be a good device as server (we're using it in classroom in France and in
Madagascar and it's good for XSCE too) but it's a very poor tools for
children: no screen, no keyboard, no mouse, not even a power adapter.
It's just a board ! So I don't see the interest of Sugar on it.
- Trisquel ? Probably a nice Linux distribution but how many users ? Not
at all a largely distributed distribution like Fedora or Ubuntu.  Why
doing effort on it ?

I can't understand you even mention Windows support in your goals: just
99,9% of the PC market ! So if you're a Windows user you can't be a
target for SugarLabs ? Plus, regarding devices: we should be better on
touch devices because tablets is the favorite learning tools in
classroom today, not PC. It's why Android (80% of the tablet market) and
iOS are so important in my mind. We should go where users -
children/teachers - are !

We can't target makers just because Sugar has synergy with them and
because we hope they help us to spread the world tomorrow.
Our goals should be to deploy Sugar as a mainstream solution for
everyone not a solution for a bunch of geeks. It's the only way to
expand the Sugar community. You told about OLPC: the goal of One Laptop
Per Child was to give a laptop to EVERY child, our goal should be to
give Sugar to EVERY child too. The marketing effort should be in that
way, no need to do marketing for makers, I'm sure they found us themselves.

                  Lionel.

P.S.: Regarding Sugarizer maintainability, it's just your opinion. Not
sure it's the opinion for 20 others Sugarizer contributors. I don't
think you could judge Sugarizer maintainability only because you've not
successfully updated TurtleJS activity inside. I don't have success
running TurtleJS on my side and had a very bad experience when trying to
Sugarize it, it's not a reason for me to give a judgement about TurtleJS
maintainability.   "

Regarding Raspberry Pi, while of the millions in the wild certainly only
a small minority are used for education of primary school aged children,
the same is true for the number used to drive 3d printers. There are
computer labs in operation based on Raspbery Pi with hand-me-down
peripherals. Kids on Computers in Mexico supports several using XSCE as
the school server (the KoC team never even considered Sugar as an option
for the clients). There is a specific opportunity in Kenya where
desktops are being used with hand-me-down peripherals. These desktops
could be replaced by RPi3 saving the difficulty in maintaining old ATX
boxes (and making use of the peripherals where the desktop is not working).

Lionel expresses concern that Trisquel is not well known in our
community. However, the newbies to Sugar are unlikely to have a clue
about the difference between Trisquel, Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora (let
alone Arch or Gentoo or OpenBSD). What is critical is that it be dead
simple to download and install Sugar and that Sugar works reliably.

The maker community has MakerFaires. These are very effective
opportunities to show what makers can do and to invite visitors to make
something on the spot. Adam Holt and the XSCE team have demonstrated
Sugar at several. The idea is that the exhibitor offers an opportunity
for visitors to 'make' - something we can do easily with Sugar. Typical
visitors are school-age children.

I think our single goal is to escape the perception that Sugar is tied
to the XO and establish the perception that Sugar is a viable learning
platform available to the mainstream user. Continuing to tie Sugar to
NL3, Infinity or Positivo (Rwanda) is wrong. We need to make Sugar a
platform available independent of particular suppliers (the Achilles
heal of OLPC).

I think it is easy to understand what is needed to move toward this goal:

     Provide an image for the RPi3 which can be downloaded, copied to an
SD microchip, and booted on an RPi3 configuration with an HDMI screen,
usb keyboard and mouse. Sebastian Silva has offered some technical ideas
on how to implement this. The XSCE team is very familiar with this
process in connection with XSCE.

     Currently on the website we mention Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu. At
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads#Do_you_use_GNU.2FLinux we mention
a potpourri of options including Trisquel. We need to have one. If there
is disagreement with Walter's choice of Trisquel, let's have that
discussion. In the meantime let's release a supported version of Sugar
and document it as the choice on our website.

     Sugarizer. We need to work out with Lionel Laske if Sugarizer is an
alternative to Sugar or is Sugar for mobile devices or is the successor
to Sugar. Sugarizer has a unique advantage in that it does not need to
be installed. However, Sugar offers a rich library of activities that
will not be available to Sugarizer without a major investment in
developer time.

It is possible that Turtle Blocks is a standalone project but it is also
a Sugar activity. Making Music Blocks a Sugar activity should not be
difficult. The important aspect is that both add to the educational
benefits offered by the Sugar platform.

I would only add to Walter's document two observations.

One, to attract potential new users and deployers of Sugar, we must
remake the website so that it is easy for the curious to see what Sugar
is and how to bring it to their own computer. To accomplish this, it
must be possible to obtain the current release directly from our
website. We need a user forum and a means for users to report problems
similar to other open source projects.

Second, we need a version for Windows. This is the most likely place
potential deployers will stumble upon Sugar (remember, Negroponte's
encounter). If possible it should be a Windows 10 application. Samuel
Greenfeld suggests Sugarizer as the version for Windows. Sugarizer can
be experienced by anyone with a browser and internet access - including,
of course, Windows users. This user experience of Sugar can be featured
immediately on our site.

This thread needs to become a discussion of how our goals can be reached
in 2017 and the pragmatic steps needed to get there.

Tony

P.S. What is the role of SOAS?